Larry Silver, M.D.
Larry Silver, M.D., is clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and director of training in child and adolescent psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine . He is a former acting director and deputy director of the National Institute of Mental Health , as well as the author of Dr. Larry Silver's Advice to Parents on AD/HD and The Misunderstood Child: Understanding and Coping with Your Child's Learning Disabilities .
- 'Mom, I Hurt Myself'
Kids with ADHD have more accidents — unless parents step in... more »
- A Parent's Guide to Explaining ADHD Treatment
What parents can say and do to make children feel good about treating their ADHD... more »
- Beyond the ADHD Diagnosis: Understanding Common Learning Disabilities
Roughly half of all children diagnosed with ADHD also suffer from learning disabilities like dyslexia... more »
- Alcohol and ADD Medication: What Is Safe?
How will alcohol interact with your ADD medication? Read this expert advice before consuming alcoholic... more »
- Medicate Our Child with ADHD?
What to do when you say yes, and your spouse says no... more »
- Time to Switch to a New ADHD Medication?
Throughout adolescence and puberty, your child's brain chemistry (among other things) changes at a dizzying... more »
- 7 Rules for Using ADHD Medications Safely
7 ways to maximize the benefits of ADHD medications for you or your child with... more »
- ADHD Medication Side Effects That No One Should Tolerate
Some ADHD medications can cause sleeplessness, loss of appetite, tics, and other side effects that... more »
- Trying a New ADD Medication
If you're considering a switch from your or your child's ADHD drug due to side... more »
- When It's Not Just ADHD
"Doctors used to view ADHD as a stand-alone disorder. But research suggests that about half... more »
- "I Believe In You!" How to Vanquish a Child's Low Self-Esteem
Constantly corrected and perpetually punished, many children with ADHD and learning disabilities develop low self-esteem... more »
- How to Treat Depression in Children with ADHD
Depression is especially common among children with ADHD. Fortunately, medical treatments are more safe and... more »
- ADHD Medication at School
Guidelines to follow if your child needs a dose of ADHD medication during the school... more »
- How Safe are ADHD Medications While Pregnant or Nursing?
Should you stop taking your ADHD medications during pregnancy? While nursing? Here, Larry Silver, M.D... more »
- Helping Preteens With ADD Succeed: Parenting Strategies for Defusing Tween Power Struggles
Whether your attention deficit tween is acting up in school, starting to run with the... Parenting ADHD preteens»
- What Is ADHD? Attention Deficit Diagnosis and Treatment Information
An expert on attention deficit and learning disabilities talks about the biology behind ADHD and... more »
- 3 Truly Terrible (and Common) Ways to Diagnose ADHD
Too often, doctors diagnose ADHD without considering all of the symptoms and other conditions that... more »
- Is It Really ADHD? Ensuring an Accurate ADHD Diagnosis
Ask yourself these four questions before considering a diagnosis of attention deficit disorder (ADD ADHD)... more »
- How to Keep Children with ADHD Injury-Free
Hyperactive and impulsive children can be accident-prone...what you need to know... more »
- Can You Really 'Outgrow' ADHD?
Not so long ago, ADHD was considered a childhood disorder that faded with age. Not... more »
- Setting Up a School-Day Dose of ADHD Medication
A doctor's advice for managing meds during the school day... more »
- Psychiatric Medications for Children with ADHD
Here are some of the psychiatric drugs that doctors prescribe most frequently for children with... more »
- ADHD Drug Treatments: Managing Multiple Medications
Treating ADHD and a comorbid condition like depression or bipolar disorder may require more than... more »
- ADHD or Learning Disabilities (LD)?
Your child was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder, and is taking ADHD medication, but he's... ADHD or LD? »
- Is Your Child Addicted to Video Games?
Playing a great video game is like living inside of a movie and being showered... more »
- A Parent's Guide to the Daytrana Patch
The Daytrana patch contains methylphenidate, the same stimulant medication found in Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, and... more »
- "Behaviors Are Messages; They Are Not Diagnoses"
Why your child's inattentive or hyperactive symptoms may actually be symptoms of anxiety. Or why... more »
- How ADHD (Inattentive Type) Looks A Lot Like Learning Disabilities
Problems with organization, focus, and time management often point to inattentive-type ADHD. But learning disabilities... more »
- OCD and ADHD: The Polar Opposites That Are Not
Fidgety distractibility is a common sign of ADHD. It may also be a red flag... more »
- ADHD Medications Rarely Work Perfectly On the First Try
Finding the most effective ADHD medication for your particular brain chemistry is — unfortunately —... more »
- Executive Function Disorder, Explained!
What is Executive Function Disorder, and how is it different from ADHD? Dr. Larry Silver... more »
- "That's Just Fine in Our Clan": Building Strong, Supportive ADHD Families
What's the key to raising a happy, well-adjusted ADHD family? According to expert Larry Silver,... One big happy, hyper family »
- The Meaning of ADHD
The more your child understands about ADHD, the better. Learn how to explain the condition... more »
- College Prep: How a Parent Should Help
College-bound ADHD teens need a crash course in managing meds, staying organized, and keeping it... Strategies for college success »
- "No Medication for My Child!"
Family members and teachers might disagree about your child's need for meds. Here's how... When your spouse says no »
- Raising Socially ADD-ept Kids
Friendship groups can work wonders for kids with ADHD, but pragmatic social skills problems require... Sharpen his nonverbal skills »
- ADHD Treated, Tics Tamed
"We traded in one problem for another!" You've finally found a medication that manages your... Controlling your child's tics »
- "I'm Just Not Hungry!"
ADHD medication may dull your child's interest in food. Bring back her appetite with these... In the mood for food »
- Climb the Career Ladder with ADHD
It's hard to get ahead when attention deficit holds you back — but a skilled... Movin' on up »
- Period of Adjustment
When a child's behavior suddenly strays off course, look for the real reasons... more »
- Addicted to Computer Games!
Game-playing can boost coordination and computer literacy. Here's how to keep a good thing from... more »
- Meds: Use Them Wisely in College
Have a game plan for tackling meds while in college... more »
- Keys to a Successful Summer for ADHD Kids
How parents can plan for a fun, safe, and productive summer vacation for their ADHD... more »
- "Did I Just Tweet That?"
Twitter, Facebook, e-mail — so many ways for ADHDers to get into trouble online! Save... The Internet is forever »
- "You Have ADD, Too, Dad?"
A father builds better family relationships when he accepts his son's ADHD behaviors — and... "Of course I don't have ADD!" »
- Is Your Child's Treatment the Total Package?
Medication only treats the neurochemical deficiencies of attention deficit — we have to treat the... The 360° approach »
- Meds: Expect Resistance
Don't be surprised if your middle-schooler is resistant to taking his meds. Here's your approach... more »
- Meds: Tips for High-Schoolers
Medications are your responsibility now. Here are things to keep in mind... more »
- Sample Dialogue for Talking About ADHD
If your child has questions, keep your answers simple, brief, and upbeat. Here's how... more »
- The Drug Approval Process
How does the FDA permit the sale of a particular drug? The answer may alarm... more »
- Keeping Kids Safe
Expert tips to help parents avoid some common risks to their ADHD children... more »
- Can Your Child Safely Take a Break from ADHD Drugs?
Important considerations when pondering a "drug holiday" for your child with attention deficit disorder (ADD... more »
- Teens and Alcohol
A guide for parents whose teenagers with attention deficit disorder may be drinking during the... Should Parents Be Concerned?
- ADHD Treatment for New Mothers: What's Safe, What's Not
Make an informed decision about taking or discontinuing ADHD drugs while pregnant or nursing... more »
- Cause of ADHD: Toxic Risk Factors
With diagnoses of attention deficit, autism, and learning disabilities on the rise, experts wonder whether... What causes ADHD? »
- Which ADHD Medication Is Best? That Depends.
The market for ADHD medications is so bloated that finding the right treatment feels impossible... ADHD medications list»
- Are You Sure It's Attention Deficit?
Your child's symptoms may look a lot like ADHD. But hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity could... How will you know? »
- Does Your Child Have a Learning Disability? Take This Self-Test
Learning disabilities can impede focus, impair reading, cause social problems, and much more. Use this... more »
- The LD Link
Think it's attention deficit holding your child back in school? It may be time to... Common co-incidence »
- How Recess Promotes Focus for ADHD Children
For children with ADHD, the endangered school recess is an essential activity that improves focus... Healthy Play
- The ADHD Pause Button
A grandfather discovers that, sometimes, ADHD children just need a break... more »
- Finding Reliable Help
"Who can best diagnose ADD?"... more »
- The Best Treatment for ADHDers with Addictions
"Will Wellbutrin work for those with drug addiction and ADHD?" ... more »
- ADHD in Adults
"My wife suspects I have ADD. How do I find a location where I can... more »
- Explaining ADHD to Kids
"My 10-year-old son has ADHD. Is it okay to talk to him about it?" ... more »
- A Qualified Diagnosis
"My son's teacher thinks he might have ADHD. Who can diagnose him and treat this... more »
- Building a Tolerance
"My son did well on Strattera for six months, but then his symptoms returned. Is... more »
- Conception Concerns
"Should my husband stop taking his stimulant while we're trying to get pregnant?"... more »
- ADHD and OCD
"Our teenage son, who has ADHD and OCD, is hiding food in his room. What... more »
- Stimulants and Heart Trouble
"Our family has a history of heart trouble. Does the new stimulant warning mean it's... more »
- Too Young for Treatment?
"What’s the youngest age at which a child can be diagnosed with and treated for... more »
- How to Ensure a Correct Diagnosis
"My son was diagnosed with multiple disorders, after an interview and psychiatric observations. Was he... more »
- Can You Have Only Some ADHD Symptoms?
"Can you have SOME of the symptoms of ADHD and still be diagnosed with attention... more »
- Does ADHD Cause Sleep Problems?
"Is ADHD causing my sleep problems?" ... more »
- Insurance Doesn't Cover My Daughter's ADHD Medication
The doctor prescribed Vyvanse for my ADD daughter. Our insurance covers only Adderall or Focalin... more »
- The Seven Types of ADHD?
"What do you know about Dr. Daniel Amen's brain imaging research?"... more »
- What Causes ADHD?
"I was just diagnosed with ADHD, and I'm interested in learning more about it. Is... more »
- What's the Right Dosage?
"I’ve been taking a stimulant for two days, but I don’t feel more focused. How... more »
- When to Switch Doctors
"My new primary-care physician told me she doesn’t 'do' adult ADD, and wants me to... more »
- Appetite Blunted By Meds
"Because my long-acting stimulant tends to blunt my appetite, I typically take it only on... more »
- Getting Insurance to Cover a Stimulant and Strattera
"My son is doing well on his stimulant-Strattera combo, but the insurance company is unwilling... more »
- Are ADHD Meds Stunting My Son's Growth?
"Our son has taken ADHD medication for a few years. He’s small for his age,... Growth charts »
- Helping Teens with Conduct Disorders
"My 17-year-old with ADHD is oppositional. He has skipped school and run away from home."... more »
- Strattera: ADHD Medication FAQ
Non-stimulant attention deficit medication Strattera can treat distractibility, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children, teens, and... ADHD non-stimulant medication Strattera»
- When ADHD Gets Worse with Time
"Is it possible for ADD to become more prominent later in life than in the... more »
- Taking Tests in School
"I struggle with test-taking. Is this common?" ... more »
- How Much Ritalin Is Enough?
"I'm 39 and started taking Ritalin 2 weeks ago. How do I find the right... more »
- Tourette's and AD/HD
"Could my five-year-old son's facial tics and hyperactivity be Tourette's?" ... more »
- Storing and Using the Daytrana Patch
"I've had trouble peeling off the protective covering on the Daytrana patch. Any suggestions?" ... more »
- Taking a Child Off Ritalin
"Our doctor wants to take my daughter off Ritalin, even though it helps her. I... more »
- Adderall and Speech Apraxia
"Can my son be treated for both ADHD and speech problems?"... more »
- Kindergarten Teacher Asks About ADD Meds
"In my classroom, I have two children with ADHD. I need information about medications and... more »
- Stuttering as a Side Effect of Ritalin
"Is Ritalin causing my grandson's stuttering? It started a year after he began medication." ... more »
- Success in High School/Problems in College
"My 21-year-old son graduated at the top of his high school class, but now can't... more »
- Self Diagnosis
"I took a stimulant and fell asleep immediately. Does this confirm my ADHD?"... more »
- Family Disagrees with Diagnosis
"How do I convince my family that ADD is real?" ... more »
- Narcolepsy and ADD
"What's the link between narcolepsy and inattentive ADD?"... more »
- Too Much Medication?
"How do you know if you are overmedicated?"... more »
- ADHD, Change in Medication & Learning Disabilities
"My nine-year-old son had to discontinue treatment, due to abnormal EKGs, and is now failing... more »
- Is The Medication Working?
"How do I know when we've found the right medication and dosage?"... more »
- Alternative Treatments for ADHD
"Why don't doctors offer alternatives to treat ADHD before prescribing strong stimulants? Since starting his... more »
- ADHD and Sensory Integration Dysfunction
"A counselor has suggested having my son tested for Sensory Integration Dysfunction. Could this be... more »
- Side Effects of Adderall
"My son has had side effects since he started medication, but his doctor says they're... more »
- Adderall and The Menstrual Cycle
"My 13-year-old daughter takes Adderall, and it seems to affect her menstrual cycle."... more »
- Exercise for ADHD
"Will exercise improve symptoms?" ... more »
- Can Childhood Trauma Cause ADD?
"Are signs of ADHD caused by factors other than neurological problems?"... more »
- Treating Asthma and ADHD
"How do I treat my son's ADHD when he takes steroids for his lung problems?"... more »
- Concerns About the Diagnostic Process
"I realize that ADHD is often over-diagnosed as well as under-diagnosed. As a social worker,... more »
- ADD and ODD
"I have a nine-year-old son who takes Ritalin. He has poor hygeine and seriously misbehaves... more »
- When Teens Refuse ADD Meds
"Why has my son stopped taking his medication?"... more »
- 3 Keys to Mindful Medication
"I have been on Adderall for several months, and I don't think it's working. Should... more »
- ADHD Medication: The Right Dose?
"My son's ADHD medication is causing him to be irritable...... more »
- ADHD and Genetics
"Is there anything my son and his wife can do to minimize the chances of... more »
- Too Much Medication? Or the Wrong Kind?
"My medication no longer works. I've had to escalate the dose, but feel like a... more »
- Signs of Adderall Addiction
"Am I addicted to my medication?" ... more »
- Addicted to Ritalin?
"My dose of Ritalin isn't effective anymore. Why?" ... more »
- Developing a Tolerance for Adderall?
"My current dose of Adderall is less effective than it had been when I started... more »
- Mixing Medication with Alcohol
"Should I refrain from taking my ADD medication on days I plan to drink alcohol?"... more »
"Can Desoxyn be used to treat ADD?"... more »
- Reading Disorders and ADHD
"My eight-year-old has trouble reading. I recently read about a sight problem called convergence that... more »
- Arranging for Accommodations in College
"I was kicked out of school, but have since been diagnosed with ADHD. Can I... more »
- Medication Choices
"My son tried Adderall, but started squinting. What do you recommend for an ADHDer who... more »
- Should My Grandson Be a Zombie?
"Last night I observed my grandson after he took his medication. Should medication be causing... more »
- Is Medication Necessary? How Much?
"Is there such a thing as being medicated just enough to get through school and... more »
- Your Biggest Questions About Concerta, Expertly Answered
In this special edition of Ask the Medical Expert , Larry Silver responds to questions about... more »
- Depakote and Tegretal
"What ADHD medication can be used with Tegretal and Depakote?" ... more »
- How to Discipline a Child with Comorbid Conditions
"My son was diagnosed with severe onset O.C.D., anxiety disorder, and ADHD. How do I... more »
- Difficulties with Reading Skills
"I have an eight-year-old with ADD who struggles with reading comprehension. Is this common, and... more »
- The Consequences of Untreated ADHD
"I have a son who was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 8. We didn't... more »
- How Can We Help Our Troubled Child?
"Our 11-year-old son has been under psychiatric care for 5 years, but is still unhappy... more »
- Daytime Wetting - Medical or Psychological?
"My son, an 8-year-old on Adderall, has been wetting his pants. How can I break... more »
- Medication on the Job (Airline Pilot)
"I am a pilot and want to try Ritalin on my vacation. For how long... more »
- Medication During the School Day
"My son needs a dose of medication at school, but administrators won't take responsibility. What... more »
- When Medication Causes Stuttering
"Is Wellbutrin causing my stuttering?"... more »
- Where Do I Go From Here?
"My 10-year-old son may have ADHD, but his doctor says there's no definitive test. What... more »
- Behavioral Changes In Teenage Daughter
"My daughter has become sexually active, with no regard to consequences."... more »
- Pycnogenol and Alternative Treatments
"Can you tell me about Pycnogenol and Maquelier's OPC (pine bark extract and grape seed... more »
- When to Give Kids Another Dose
"Is Adderall causing my seven-year-old son to act out?" ... more »
- Is ADD Genetic?
"I am 32 and pregnant. Can I continue my treatment for ADD, and will my... more »
- Getting Through to Junior
"My 14-year-old son has been diagnosed with ADD, learning disabilities and a conduct disorder. He... more »
- Do Medications “Cure” ADHD?
"Will Strattera permanently correct a chemical imbalance in the brain of a person with ADHD?... more »
- Do Young Kids Need Meds?
"My son started taking a stimulant for his ADHD, but didn't like it, so we... more »
- Best Medication for Inattentive ADHD
"My daughter was recently diagnosed with inattentive ADHD. She was put on an extended-release stimulant... more »
- Pregnancy and ADHD meds
"Can I safely continue my medication while I am pregnant or nursing?"... more »
- Depakote plus Concerta?
"My 6-year-old son is taking Depakote for seizures, but it makes him more aggressive, so... more »
- Dose Differences
"My son was taking a short-acting stimulant, which improved his symptoms, but his doctor switched... more »
- ADHD Medication and Smoking
"I have been taking stimulant since last year, and notice an increased desire to smoke."... more »
- A Sweet Tooth
"My daughter craves sweets, but has little appetite when she's on her medication. Does ADHD... more »
- Mixing Meds
"My client takes a stimulant, as well as a painkiller and sleeping pills. I think... more »
- A Weighty Concern
"My 9-year-old has ADD. He is overweight, and we were told that a stimulant may... more »
- Eating Sensitivity
"My daughter has always been a picky eater. Now at 15, she takes a long-acting... more »
- Repetitive Speech
"Is repetitive speech due to my son's medicine, his ADD, or something else?"... more »
- Pushing Antidepressants
"Some of the physicians I've seen have tried to force antidepressants on me, despite an... more »
- Drug Screening Dilemma
"Will the stimulant medication that I take show up in a potential employer's drug test?"... more »
- Try a Tricyclic
"I've tried several stimulant medications, and the side effects always outweigh the benefits. Is there... more »
- Skipping Strattera Doses
"My 20-year-old daughter takes Strattera, but skips her medication on weekends. Is this risky?"... more »
- Safe Driving vs. Insomnia
"The stimulant I take makes it hard to fall asleep, but I'm a safer driver... more »
- Delayed Puberty?
"Our 13-year-old son shows no sign of puberty. Could his medications be causing a delay?"... more »
- Medication Switcheroo
"After only two doses of a long-acting stimulant, I felt like a new person. I... more »
- O.K. to Donate Blood
"I recently started taking a short-acting stimulant. Am I still allowed to donate blood?" ... more »
- Icy Extremities
"Our son has had extremely cold hands and feet since he began taking Strattera. Is... more »
- Fear of Addiction
"I used to be addicted to opiates and painkillers, and my doctor has prescribed a... more »
- ADHD and Bed Wetting
"Our 10-year-old son still wets his bed, yet a urologist could find nothing wrong. Could... more »
- Tough Morning Routine
"My teenage son has a hard time waking up each morning. Could this be caused... more »
- Responsible for Taking Medication
"My 12-year-old has been taking ADHD medication for five years. Is he old enough to... more »
- Recently Diagnosed, ADA Information
"I've just been diagnosed with ADHD. Am I entitled to special accommodations at work?"... more »
- Medication and Seizures
"My daughter has been treated for seizures, and her neurologist said Strattera could cause more... more »
- Increased Appetite
"Do stimulants ever cause an increase in appetite? My son has gained weight since he... more »
- Fast Pulse
"Can stimulant medications cause a rapid pulse? I'm worried about giving stimulants to my son."... more »
- New Doctor, Old Problem
"I'm unhappy with my doctor and the medication I take. How can I find a... more »
- Comorbid Conditions and ADD Meds
"Will ADHD medication help me stop picking at my skin? I've dealt with this, as... more »
- Meds and Migraines
"Can ADHD cause migraine headaches?"... more »
- New Problems With Meds
"I've been taking the same dosage for years with no problems, but recently I've become... more »
- How Many Appointments Do I Need?
"Our pediatrician requires my four ADHD sons to have screenings every three months. Is this... more »
- Negative Response to Meds
"I began taking a stimulant, and I experienced anxiety, depression, and crying spells. Does this... more »
- When To Increase Dosage
"My son's doctor says to take the minimum dose of a stimulant for 30 days,... more »
- Rebounding on Meds
"My 10-year-old son whines, cries, and so on, as his medication wears off in the... more »
- Should Meds Improve Handwriting?
"ADHD medication improved my eight-year-old's attention, but not his handwriting. What should I do?"... more »
- Smart, with a "Glitch"?
"My 18-year-old daughter graduated with honors but her teacher recommends getting her tested for ADHD... more »
- Understanding Meds
"Are different medications prescribed for ADD and AD/HD? My doctor prescribed Adderall, but I'm not... more »
- Homeopathy for ADHD?
"Can homeopathy really help with ADHD?"... more »
- Finally Ready to Get Help
"My 19-year-old has agreed to see a doctor after years of depression and marijuana use... more »
- Ending a Long-Term Drug Treatment
"I've been taking Dexedrine since being diagnosed with ADD nine years ago. Will I be... more »
- "My Son Takes 8 Pills a Day!"
"My son now takes two types of ADHD medications, plus six other pills to 'manage... more »
- When Everyone Knows the 'Answer'
"As ADHD receives more media attention, all of a sudden, everyone seems to know the... more »
- Meds: Covering the School Day
"My son takes a small dose of Focalin before school. His teacher says that he... more »
- Mixing Imipramine and Stimulants
"Can we keep our son on Imipramine to stop his bed-wetting, in addition to giving... more »
- Foods That Interfere
"Fatty foods seem to lessen the effects of my stimulant medication. Do you know of... more »
- Doctor or Patient: Who Knows Best?
"Can I ask my doctor to increase the dosage of my medication?"... more »
- Long-Term Concerta Use
"Is it true that long-term use of Concerta can cause 'burnout' of the adrenal glands?"... more »
- Persistent Sleep Troubles
"My son takes Strattera, as well as clonidine for his sleep problems, but it hasn't... more »
- Dry Mouth as a Side Effect
"My stimulant gives me dry mouth, and I've had many cavities in recent years. Could... more »
- Caffeine as a Treatment
"Can caffeine be used to treat AD/HD symptoms?"... more »
- Controlling Anxiety
"I become anxious as my stimulant wears off. What's going on?"... more »
- When Strattera Isn't Enough
"My son's doctor suggests a small dose of a stimulant in addition to his Strattera... more »
- Meds During Pregnancy
"Can pregnant women take modafinil, which the FDA may soon approve for treatment of AD/HD?"... more »
- A Teen's Reluctance to Take Medication
"My 13-year-old has been throwing away his AD/HD pills. How can I get him to... more »
- The School's Responsibility
"The school nurse was out today, so my daughter didn't get her AD/HD medication. How... more »
- Stimulant Addiction
"My son takes a stimulant, but says he needs two or three times his prescribed... more »
- Poor Prescriptions
"I've tried various drugs to treat my ADHD, but they all seem to put me... more »
- Treating Two Conditions
"I take medication for bipolar disorder. Is it safe to take a stimulant for ADHD,... more »
- Medication After School
"I think our son needs medication only for the school day. What do you recommend?"... more »
- Switching to Stimulants
"I've been taking antidepressants for years, but now my doctor says I have ADHD and... more »
- Auditory Hallucinations
"My daughter says she hears imaginary voices. Is this a side effect of her medication?"... more »
- Can the Daytrana Patch Be Abused?
"Why is the Daytrana skin patch considered less likely to be abused than pills? And... more »
- Stimulants and Nausea
"Could my medication be causing my nausea and fatigue?"... more »
- Stimulant Dosage
"My son takes a larger dose than my friend's son, even though they share similar... more »
- Stimulants and Reflux
"Is ADHD medication to blame for my daughter's stomach aches?" ... more »
- Former Drinking Problem
"Does my past addiction put me at risk if I take the stimulant my doctor... more »
- How Can I Tell if the Meds Work?
"How can I tell if my five-year-old's AD/HD medication is working?"... more »
- Does Coffee Improve Focus in Children with ADHD?
"My friend lets her 10-year-old drink coffee every day before school. She says the caffeine... more »
- Stimulant Drug Interactions
"Is it safe to take a stimulant while being treated for high cholesterol and blood... more »
- Stimulants: Short-Term Fix? Or Lifelong Drug?
"Are stimulants generally taken for just a short period, or will I take this pill... more »
- Are Dosages Based on Weight?
"If AD/HD medication dosages aren't calculated by weight, why did my doctor weigh me before... more »
- The Daytrana Patch
"How does the Daytrana skin patch work? What side effects does it cause?"... more »
- Refusing to Get Help
"Therapists have suggested that my son has ADHD, but he's too embarrassed to see a... more »
- How ADHD Medications Affect Personality
"I worry that taking a stimulant medication to treat my ADHD will somehow change me... more »
- Time to Go Off-Label?
"My son developed a tic after he started taking a stimulant. Should we try a... more »
- Alternatives to Swallowing Pills
"My 10-year-old can't swallow the pill his doctor prescribed. What can we do?"... more »
- Vitamins & Stimulants: A Bad Interaction?
"I heard recently that vitamin supplements interact with stimulant medication. Is that true?"... more »
- Long-Term Effects of Stimulants
"My son has been taking a stimulant for two years. How much longer should he... more »
- Getting Adequate Care Overseas
"I recently moved to England, and I’m having trouble finding a doctor who’s knowledgeable about... more »
- Strattera for Comorbidities
"My son suffers from ADHD and anxiety. His doctor prescribed Strattera. Is this the best... more »
- Persistent Tics
"My son developed a severe tic after he started taking a stimulant. He stopped taking... more »
- New Treatment Available Soon
"What can you tell me about Vyvanse, the new stimulant medication?"... more »
- Inheriting the ADHD Gene
"I don’t have ADHD, but my husband does. If we have a child, what are... more »
- How to Stop Appetite Loss
"I’m worried about my 10-year-old. He hasn’t gained any weight in the two years he’s... more »
- When Meds Affect the Menstrual Cycle
"I’ve been taking a stimulant for a few months, and my periods are noticeably shorter... more »
- Medication for Learning Disabilities?
"Why are there medications to treat ADHD but none to treat learning disabilities?"... more »
- Sleep Strategies for Restless Kids
"My six-year-old has a hard time falling asleep at night, and she often wakes up... more »
- How to Treat Diabetic ADDers
"My 11-year-old son, who has type-I diabetes, was just diagnosed with ADHD. Is it safe... more »
- Outgrowing ADHD
"Will my child need to take ADHD medication for the rest of his life?"... more »
- Nightmarish Side Effects
"My 10-year-old son has started having terrible nightmares. Is this a side effect of his... more »
- Getting Accommodations at Work
"I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD. Am I entitled to special accommodations at work?"... more »
- Weight Gain and ADHD Meds
"My son has bipolar disorder, and he just started taking Risperdal. I heard that this... more »
- On- or Off-Meds When Undergoing Evaluations?
"My 10-year-old son is going to be evaluated for learning disabilities. Should we give him... more »
- Quick Tip for Using the Daytrana Patch
"My son's doctor prescribed the stimulant patch, Daytrana. I find it difficult to peel off... more »
- Helping ADHD Teens Accept Their Diagnosis
"My 14-year-old has been diagnosed with ADHD and LD. He seems to believe that, if... Counsel for Teens Who Hate ADD
- What to Know About the New ADHD Med
"I read about a new long-acting, nonstimulant ADHD medication. Can you tell me more?"... more »
- Can a Six-Year-Old Be Treated for ADHD?
"My six-year-old was diagnosed as having 'a mild case of ADHD,' and the doctor said... more »
- Medicate Our Child? When One Wants It and the Other Doesn't
"My ex-husband refuses to believe our 12-year-old son has ADHD, even though he has been... more »
- St. John's Wort No Help for ADHD Symptoms
"A friend told me that St. John’s wort can help people with ADHD. Is this... more »
- Too Small a Dose? Space Your ADD Meds Out for Longer Coverage
"My son takes 10 mg. of Focalin three times a day, but metabolizes the medication... more »
- Are Trial-and-Error Meds a Thing of the Past?
"My doctor told me that there is a new test to determine whether or not... more »
- Can Children Outgrow ADHD?
"I was excited to read about a recent study that shows that children outgrow ADHD... more »
- Is It ADD or a Learning Disability?
"I have a nine-year-old with ADD. School has become a struggle for him. Is this... more »
- Could Sensory Processing Disorder Be Causing My Child's Issues with Textures?
My son is a very picky eater. He is very tactile and hates many kinds... more »
- More Fun Without Meds?
"My 18-year-old stopped taking his ADHD meds because his friends told him he was 'more... more »
- Should Your Medication Cause Mood Fluctuations?
The ADHD stimulant I am taking controls my temper and helps me feel less overwhelmed... more »
- A Dosing Dilemma
My daughter’s doctor just switched her from Ritalin to Focalin. I noticed that her dose... more »
- Skipping Strattera Doses Can Be Dangerous for Some ADHD Adults
My 20-year-old daughter, who has ADHD, skips her Strattera dose on weekends. She assured me... more »
- Roadblock at the Pharmacy
My son’s doctor recently increased his Daytrana patch dose from 20 mg. to 30 mg... more »
- Side Effect or Compulsive Behavior?
"Is it common for children on methyphenidate and Paxil to pick their cuticles, nails, skin,... more »
- Vitamins for Hyperactive Kids
"Do vitamins have a calming effect for ADHD children?" ... more »
- Ritalin and Growth of Children
"Is there a link between Ritalin and growth problems in children?" ... more »
- Will ADHD Meds Help Aggression at School
"Will ADHD medication control my daughter's aggression at school?" ... more »
- Daytrana 'Delay' in the Mornings
My son's Daytrana patch doesn't seem to 'kick in' until four hours after we apply... more »
- Can ADHD Medications Lower IQ?
Could my son's ADHD medication be lowering his IQ, while allowing him to focus?... more »
- Concerta and High Blood Pressure
My son's doctor recently took him off of Concerta due to high blood pressure. Do... more »
- Stimulant Medications Not Working
I've tried three different stimulant medications for ADHD and none has had any effect. Why... more »
- Can Stimulants Stunt Growth?
Will a stimulant medication affect my child's growth?... more »
- Alternatives to ADHD Stimulants
"What alternatives to Ritalin are available to my son?" ... more »
- When to Reduce Dosage of ADHD Meds
"My son has had a hard time falling asleep since our doctor increased his dosage... more »
- Are Drug Holidays Safe?
"My son feels sick whenever he takes time off from his ADHD stimulant medication. Is... more »
- Bipolar or ADHD? What's the Difference?
"What's the difference between ADHD and bipolar disorder?"... more »
- Diagnosing and Medicating Young Children
"Our three-year-old shows signs of ADHD. Is he too young to be diagnosed with ADHD... more »
- How Should My Daughter's School Help Improve Her Working Memory?
"My daughter scored low on a working memory test and her school said there are... more »
- Accidental Overdose
"What if I accidentally took two of my long-acting stimulant capsules?"... more »
- Can A Blood Test Diagnose ADHD?
"I've read that ADHD is caused by a deficiency of norepinephrine. Can a blood test... more »
- Who Should Diagnose My Child with ADHD?
"Who should diagnose my child with ADHD?"... more »
- ADHD or Just Hyperactive?
"My six-year-old was diagnosed with ADHD, but I'm not sure she has all the traits... more »
- Is Sensitivity Common in ADHD Kids?
"My daughter is very sensitive. Is sensitivity common in ADHD kids?... more »
- Can Nicotine Help My Husband Manage His ADHD Symptoms?
"My husband takes Ritalin for his ADHD. He also smokes. He claims that nicotine is... more »
- When ADHD Medicine Is Ineffective
"We've tried every ADHD medication on the market, but every three weeks it loses its... more »
- Can Emotional Problems Cause ADHD?
"My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD last year, while my husband and I were in... more »
- Mixing Medications: Valium and ADHD Stimulants
"My daughter will have surgery soon and the surgeon prescribed Valium for the day of... more »
"Is hyperfocus a type of ADHD? If so, are any medications designed specifically to treat... more »
- Mixing Medications: Over-the-Counter and Stimulants
"Is it safe to take over-the-counter medications for colds at the same time as ADHD... more »
- Stimulants and Nonstimulants, Working Together?
"My son was prescribed Strattera. We didn't see much effect after two months, so our... more »
- My ADHD Son Has Been Giving Away Adderall to Friends
"My attention deficit 17-year-old has been giving his Adderall to friends, and I worry that... more »
- Can I Request a Higher Dose of My ADHD Medicine?
"I think I need a higher dose of the stimulant I take for ADHD. Can... more »
- Why Does My Son's Doctor Want to Take Him Off ADHD Medication?
"My 21-year-old son's ADHD medication is effective in treating his symptoms. But his doctor wants... more »
- How Strattera Affects Your Child's Growth
"Is slowed growth a side effect of the ADHD medication Strattera?”... more »
- Is the Feingold Diet an ADHD Cure?
"My kids are on the Feingold Diet, and it appears to have cured their ADHD... more »
- ADD and EEG Neurofeedback
"My children and I have had success with EEG neurofeedback training. Why don't more doctors... more »
- Preschoolers on ADHD Medication
"My four-year-old has been diagnosed with ADHD, and doctors have suggested Ritalin. What do you... more »
- Identifying Learning Disabilities
"How can one differentiate between lack of focus related to dyslexia and that related to... more »
- Ritalin and Headaches
"Are ADHD stimulant medications like Ritalin causing my headaches?" ... more »
- Tics as a Side Effect of ADHD Medication
"My son was given a higher dosage of ADHD medication, and now has trouble with... more »
- Can an ADHD Coach Help Me Manage My Symptoms?
I take medication and see a therapist, but I still can’t manage all of my... more »
- LD and ADHD? Recognize the Symptoms
My daughter is in third grade. She takes attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication, but... more »
- Intuniv: New Nonstimulant Medication for ADHD?
I've been hearing about a new nonstimulant medication called Intuniv. Could it be a good... more »
- Rejiggering a Meds Schedule
Is it appropriate to take stimulant medication on an as-needed basis? I've been taking it... Flexible med schedule »
- When a 'Tween Is Reluctant to Take Meds
How to respond when a tween insists he no longer needs medication... more »
- Disruptive at School, But Fine at Home
Q: "At school our eight-year-old daughter is disruptive, can’t focus, and does not keep up... Could there be some other cause? »
- First Line of Treatment?
"My son was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and his doctor wants to prescribe a stimulant... Why meds matter »
- Child's Meds Stopped Working Well
"My son has been taking a stimulant for several years now, but recently it is... Verify diagnosis and dose »
- Higher Dosage, Same ADHD Attention Span
We've increased her dosage of Concerta, but my daughter's attention span at school is still... Adjusting the dosage
- Is Medication Making My Daughter Pick at Her Skin?
"My nine-year-old daughter constantly picks at her skin. Her arms and legs are covered with... Get this tic under control »
- ADHD Speak: Terminology Explained
"Can you tell me the difference between ADHD and inattentive ADHD?"... Understanding types »
- Concerta Helps Me Focus, But I Can’t Get to Sleep
"I am a female with attention deficit. I just upped my Concerta dosage from 36... Adjust with your doctor »
- What's New About ADHD?
The fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) will be... New! Improved! With even more ADHD! »
- Getting My Son to Speak Up About His ADD
My 14-year-old son was diagnosed with ADD two years ago, and refuses to answer any... Clammed up »
- Meds Aren't Working for Adult ADHD
My 40-year-old boyfriend has been working with a psychiatrist to treat his ADHD. He's tried... And then...nothing »
- They Pick on My Daughter for Daydreaming
My daughter, an eighth-grader who has inattentive ADHD, is being picked on in school. She... Put school on the alert »
- "Put down the Game and Pick up Your Room!"
Why can my son, who is nine and who has ADHD, stay focused on a... Help him clear the next level »
- Sports for Self-Esteem?
Do sports help a 10-year-old with ADHD manage his symptoms and increase his self-esteem? If... more »
- I Want to Take a Drug Holiday
Some adults in my ADHD support group take a drug holiday a couple of times... Break time »
- Is Brain Imaging a Good Diagnostic Tool?
Can brain imaging help in diagnosing my daughter? We think she has ADHD, and the... more »
- Put the Brakes on Bad Driving
My 17-year-old daughter, who has attention deficit, got a speeding ticket this weekend. How can... Wheel good advice »
- Does My ADHD Son Need Meds for Depression?
My 10-year-old son has been diagnosed with ADHD and depression. Will his ADHD medication help... More meds? »
- My Anger is Out of Control!
I am a 32-year-old adult who was diagnosed with ADHD eight years ago. I can... No more blow-ups »
- Time Is Not on My Side
Why do ADDers have a poor sense of time?... Tick tock... »
- Late to the ADHD Party
I am 62 years old and was just diagnosed with ADHD. I have made a... Be sure about your diagnosis »
- Is It ADHD or Anxiety Disorder?
Is ADHD often misdiagnosed when the problem is anxiety? What should a professional treat first... How doctors spot the difference »
- Birth Defects and Stimulants
I was recently told that ADHD stimulants cause birth defects, possibly even the loss of... Is it safe? »
- His Anger Is Out of Control — Even When He's on Meds
My 26-year-old brother was recently diagnosed with ADD and was prescribed Adderall. He has daily... Easy, there »
- Who Should Evaluate Me for Adult ADHD?
I think I have ADHD and I want to get an evaluation. Should I go... Picking a pro »
- A Little More Info, Doc
If my child's doctor doesn't explain the ADHD symptoms he observed during her diagnosis, how... Treating ADHD Kids
- Is ADHD the Reason I Sleep Around the Clock?
Q: "I sleep up to 12 hours a night and nap during the day. Is... Consider other causes »
- My Daughter Thinks She's Dumb
"I've explained to my daughter how ADHD affects her, but she still thinks she's stupid... First learn why she's struggling »
- FDA: ADHD Medications Pose No Heart Risk
"I've read that ADHD medications may cause heart problems. Is this true, and, if so,... more »
- My Husband Always Misses School Meetings
My husband refuses to go to school meetings about our daughter and to her doctor's... more »